Any parent under the sun will tell you that a kid's preference will swing from mommy to daddy and back again in less time than it takes either of those parents to say "No, honey, you can't have that third popsicle." According to "experts", every growing-up phase children go through they change their minds about which parent they like best, so you really shouldn't take it seriously. Then, of course, there will be that time when the child will hate both parents, which I hear, is always fun for all involved. *shudder*
However, that being said, Chamina is clearly still in the Mommy's Girl phase. Don't get me wrong, she loves her Daddy and will look for him when he's not around, as in "Mommy? Where's Daddy? Is he stuck in traffic?" They wrestle, he throws her in the air and tickles her like there's no tomorrow, and they still love watching basketball together (she lies down on Daddy's tummy with her pillow and is content with life). But when she's tired or hurt, there are no hugs and kisses Daddy can give that will stop the "I want my Mmmommmmyyyy!" screams.
This, I know, will not last forever. My own mom reminds me of how it was the same for her, and how in the intervening years, my preferences would swing wildly from one to the other. At times, it was tricky to navigate the transition from mom to friend, and she often warns me of pitfalls she made in her life. If that's the ride I'm fated for then let it ride, but I do hope I end up with the same kind of relationship with my girl that I have with my mom. Every now and then, there are times in my life (just in the last couple of weeks, in fact) when I've been hurt and tired and all I want is to scream "I want my Mommy!" Funny thing, she is still right there with the hugs and the kisses. I always feel better after them, too. It isn't that complicated, after all. Thanks, Mom. Happy Mother's Day, everybody.
However, that being said, Chamina is clearly still in the Mommy's Girl phase. Don't get me wrong, she loves her Daddy and will look for him when he's not around, as in "Mommy? Where's Daddy? Is he stuck in traffic?" They wrestle, he throws her in the air and tickles her like there's no tomorrow, and they still love watching basketball together (she lies down on Daddy's tummy with her pillow and is content with life). But when she's tired or hurt, there are no hugs and kisses Daddy can give that will stop the "I want my Mmmommmmyyyy!" screams.
This, I know, will not last forever. My own mom reminds me of how it was the same for her, and how in the intervening years, my preferences would swing wildly from one to the other. At times, it was tricky to navigate the transition from mom to friend, and she often warns me of pitfalls she made in her life. If that's the ride I'm fated for then let it ride, but I do hope I end up with the same kind of relationship with my girl that I have with my mom. Every now and then, there are times in my life (just in the last couple of weeks, in fact) when I've been hurt and tired and all I want is to scream "I want my Mommy!" Funny thing, she is still right there with the hugs and the kisses. I always feel better after them, too. It isn't that complicated, after all. Thanks, Mom. Happy Mother's Day, everybody.

My two best girls
3 comments:
oh, MAN! i'm crying. that is so sweet.
I thought I was your best girl!!!
Haha, joke only!
Happy Momma's Day!!
XOXO
Flambo
Both Joaquin and Sofia are mostly in mommy moods. Both prefer mommy to put them to bed. Not daddy. However, when there is ice cream to be had, they know who the pig is in the house (that would be me).
Post a Comment